Tuesday, January 29, 2013

News 1-29-13

 - Sarah Spiers

As stated, I attended the round table on Mental Health and Guns in America. To say that I was rather displeased with the discussion on mental health until later in the deal when the court appointed guardian, Mr. Cross, spoke on behalf of those of us with mental illnesses.

I was 3rd out of 4 to address the round table. This is what I said:

"I'm feeling rather stigmatized right now. I mean, this woman said she's scared of me because I have a mental issue.

My name is Sarah Spiers. I am the founder of St. Dymphna's Mental Health Support Group in St. Joseph. I've been through a lot in my battles against bipolar. I've witnessed others' struggles. Please truly invite the patients' point of view, thoughts and feelings into your considerations.

There are 3 areas that need fixed.

1st, stigma. We face injustice and prejudice constantly. People are scared of us simply because we fight an invisible battle. It's taboo to have a mental illness in America. Remove the stigma and people will seek help for themselves and their children.

2nd, Education and Awareness. Teach kids to love and accept. Teach teachers, law enforcement, professionals and our family how to deal with us. Plant the seeds of education and wisdom so compassion can flourish.

3rd, fix the broken systems. If you want to help us, make it easier and more affordable to see the 3 people we need for medication and therapy.

I challenge you to get help as an unemployed and uninsured person.

Thank you."

When the meeting concluded, Representative Galen Higdon of the 29th District came to me in an abrupt manner and shook my hand. He said I showed courage standing up and saying what I said. We visited a bit and then I visited with Jim Neely for approximately 15 minutes and then Representative Mike Kelley showed his appreciation for my speech. We visited for awhile.

I am currently drafting a letter to Rep. Higdon. He's local. He knows the history. He's former Law Enforcement so I can get their point of view, better enabling me to think of solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment